Meeting Minutes - April 2017
HHS PTSA General Board Meeting
April 18, 2017; HHS Media Center
In Attendance: Edythe G, Nini H, Kevin H, Theresa T, Scott L, Lorise R, Gina S, Amy B, Heidi W, Terry B, Monica M, Joanie A – Quorum Met with 10 board members in attendance
Call to order: 6:30pm. February and March minutes approved by Amy B, second by Terry B – all in favor.
Principal’s Report: Scott Lyons - Questioned if the PTSA is helping on 5/25 with the reception after the awards ceremony. Heidi said yes there will be a dessert table. Registration is winding down with conference night this Thursday 4-7pm, verification sheets go home this Friday. Enrollment for next year is at 2051, HHS is capped at 1920 – 100 less are expected by day 10 of the 2017/18 school year., Exam schedules are different this year as we will have NC Final Exams (we have opted out for 2 years and this year we are not allowed to) Seniors will have the option to take them early 6/1 & 6/2 (trying to get done early for graduation purposes). House Bill 13 needs attention please look up Dr Merrill’s report for more information.
President’s Report: Lorise R – 3 mini grants need attention. 1) $55 for Carla Roche for AATF Membership this had been approved last month and will be funded. 2) Ms McCabe, Special Ed, asking for $200 for a trip to Vollmer Farms for Strawberry picking – this will help students with learning planning, harvesting, money 3) Ms Sanford is asking for $307 for Earth Day Celebration – the Art Club and NHS host this event. The money will go towards performers. Mr Lyons made a comment at this point that ACT program was $250 less than planned for and could that money be put towards this. Heidi asked if they requesting staff were ptsa members (per terry, yes) – Terri made a motion to approve, Amy B 2nd – all approved.
Legacy Brick – right now we have online and hard copy but we prefer these to be done online. Amy B suggested we change the hard copy to say all info but that ordering must be done online. Nini agreed saying we should do ½ sheets. Mr Lyons was concerned with those who can’t do online and suggested we put a line on there that if unable to order online see Michelle in the office. Terry made comment we will need computer at all events. At this time we have 6 pending. Senior night is May 24th Amy and Terry will have table set up to sell bricks.
Giving Tree sent $950 check. Lorise suggested next year we do a drive with the Giving Tree and have more students volunteer so we can earn points. (last year we only made $600)
Nominating Committee – Terry B – Present Slot of Officers: President Monica Massey, VP Ways and Means Kendal Harris, VP Hospitatlity Jina Yatsko, Secretary Tricia Ellen, Treasurer Cathy Kape May 11th prior to the concert PTSA will have the official vote – need 20 PTSA members there. Nothing to do with the executive board but we are needing Resource Development, Reflctions and Special Ed/Inclusion Chairs for next year still
Lorise spoke about Special Ed/Inclusion….recently we had a transition fair; Steve did a wonderful job having 10-12 vendors (last year we had 5-6) and representative with students from UNC Greensboro. Turnout was low (about same as last year) Next year make sure students are aware they are welcome to attend. Mr Lyons suggested we combine it with another night such as conference night.
Communications and Website; Kevin – Transition Fair has a page on website with the organizations presentations attached to a google map. Kevin would like to have a data base separated by grade so we can shoot emails/texts to specific grades (students/parents). Dr Tate suggested we set up a Remind account – this can be set up to send out to specific genres.
Membership; Terry – Nothing New
Fundraising; McDonalds very successful, they would like us to do it again and have marketing suggestions – we made $696. This Saturday there is a spirit day at Grammas Diner 8-3pm . 5/6 Chipoltle 11-3pm and 5/16 Pelican Snowballs 5-8pm
Scholarships – Edythe made a motion to make requirements for applicants to be member of PTSA a minimum of 2 years. It seems as if students join last minute just for chance to get $1000. Lorise mentioned there is a point system but at this time only 2 years of members have been tracked. Kendall wanted to know more about the point system. Joanie felt it didn’t matter when they became members as long as they were members. Mr Lyons felt we should go back and look at what original requirements were and if we felt need to change. He suggested Ms Lachance would be good person to speak to about this. (scoring rubric etc…) Vote is tabled to later time. Lorise asked Kendal, since he has experience with scholarships, to look into this further and have it revisited next year.
Business Alliance; Lorise – All State Thompson would like to work with our PTSA. Lorise will visit with Sidney and then contact Ms Beaster to maybe bring into Business Alliance.
Hospitality; Heidi spoke about Mr Heritage/Talent Night – it was a big success, nice for non sports event so others can show their talents. Made $1100 – ½ to SGA who is donating to Ronald McDonald House; PTSA made $550 for this event. Down from last year but ticket prices were lowered and no raffle baskets this year. Joanie – Teacher Appreciation Week is second week of May. Tuesday there will be a special something put in staff mailboxes, Thurs there will be a teacher luncheon. Finals Week – Heidi and Amanda will do Candy Bar for PTSA Members and loose candy for all other students. Students Awards and Senior Day please look for signup genius to come out. Last event will be Teacher end of year breakfast.
Treasurer; Nini – end of March we had $13800 with approx. $2500 needing to be deposited (coming in) We do have some large expenses coming up (ie $2750 for ACT program)
Joanie brought up that Gladwell Orthodontics is supporting the Athletics this month with their Starbucks Charity Café. They are wanting to be the exclusive Orthodontics for HHS (as sponsor) Joanie felt that the Athletics was looking to have money donated to PTSA (she will look into this further)
Meeting adjourned 7:54pm